Monday, May 28, 2012

Keep It Current

It may come as some surprise that I absolutely hate the news. It's a terrible truth. Especially since I'm a teacher and staying "with it" on current events should be a top priority, but I have just never ever been able to get into it. Even when the news directly involves me. I read or watch what I absolutely have to, then turn it off.

It could be that news today is always more bad news than good news. Which could be why what constitutes as "reading the news" for me includes 3 things:

1. Skimming my favourite online news sources for stories that look "feel-good" or like they will directly affect me in some way.

2. Browsing entertainment news for stories about theatre, movies, music, or celebrities (please refrain from judging me)

3. Checking out the "Insight & Books" section of the Sunday Star. (Which, I should add, is such an obscure section it doesn't even exist on their website or else I'd have posted the link for you).


When I started this blog it was a place for me to get back into writing. My life was changing and I wanted an outlet to write about how I was feeling by sharing my thoughts on the books I was reading. I was combining three of my major interests, reading, writing, and social networking (haha) to help me cope with "turning the page" in my life to start something new.

Well, life is still changing, and will continue to do so from now until forever, and I feel like my blog should evolve as well. It shouldn't just be a place to vent about teenagers like a teenager. I want to keep it current and share with you what's going on in the world of books by sharing selected articles each week from my favourite Sunday Star section: Insight and Books.

I happened to find this week's section a bit dull and I've prattled on a bit too long already, so for my first instalment I'll just share a selection of Bestsellers (something I'd like to do every week).


THIS WEEK'S BESTSELLERS
Original Fiction
1. Fifty Shades of Grey (E.L. James)
2. Bring up the Bodies (Hilary Mantel)
3. Fifty Shades of Darker (E.L. James)

Original Non-Fiction
1. The End of Growth (Jeff Rubin)
2. Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking (Susan Cain)
3. The Power of Habit: Why Do We Do What We Do and How to Change It (Charles Duhigg)

Reprint Fiction
1. Death Comes to Pemberley (P.D. James)
2. The Lucky One (Nicholas Sparks)
3. A Game of Thrones (George R.R. Martin)

Reprint Non-Fiction
1. Bossypants (Tina Fey)
2. In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin (Erik Larson)
3. The Hare with Amber Eyes: A Hidden Inheritance (Edmund de Waal)

No comments: